This yummy, creamy, golden-green fruit is a versatile partner in the kitchen. Because of its high-calorie content (250 in a medium-size fruit), avocado is best used as a complement in the form of salsa, dips (guacamole!), spreads or garnishes.
- Avocado is technically a berry, not a veggie.
- Best flavor pairings: cilantro, lime, mango, tomatillo.
- Also called alligator pears, avocados are in season from April to September.
- Good source of vitamins B, C, E and K, as well as potassium, lutein and fiber. Contain “good” monounsaturated fat; low in sugar.
- California produces 90% of U.S. avocados. The fruits hang on the tree as long as 18 months and ripen only once off the tree.